Re: wrap alpha4 tomorrow ~9am Eastern (was: Alpha4 release blockers) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: wrap alpha4 tomorrow ~9am Eastern (was: Alpha4 release blockers)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Due to backbranch packaging, and having to support several different
versions of autoconf as a results, its a bit more confusing ...

'k, normally it would be in /usr/local/bin:

developer# ls -lt autoconf-*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14657 Aug 13  2009 autoconf-2.62
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  13420 Aug 26  2007 autoconf-2.61
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   5009 Aug 16  2007 autoconf-2.13
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   7674 Aug 16  2007 autoconf-2.59
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   6196 Aug 16  2007 autoconf-2.53

But, since they seem to have 'skipped' 2.63 in FreeBSD for some reason
(current version in ports is 2.68), 2.63 had to be manually installed
seperately from ports:

developer# /root/bin/autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63
<http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Sorry for the confusion on that ...

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Going once, going twice...
>>
>> I'll go ahead and do this, barring objections or some other volunteer.
>
> developer.postgresql.org apparently hates me.  After waiting an
> insanely long time to copy over the exported tarball to that machine,
> I tried to follow the instructions at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Alpha_release_process but of course it
> didn't work:
>
> $ src/tools/version_stamp.pl alpha4
> Stamped these files with version number 9.1alpha4:
>     configure.in
>     doc/bug.template
>     src/include/pg_config.h.win32
>     src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc.in
>     src/port/win32ver.rc
> Don't forget to run autoconf 2.63 before committing.
> $ autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.62
> License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
> $ autoconf
> configure.in:22: error: Autoconf version 2.63 is required.
> Untested combinations of 'autoconf' and PostgreSQL versions are not
> recommended.  You can remove the check from 'configure.in' but it is then
> your responsibility whether the result works or not.
> configure.in:22: the top level
> autom4te-2.62: /usr/local/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
>
> As Magnus pointed out to me on IM, there must be a usable version of
> autoconf on this machine somewhere if it's doing the nightly snapshot
> builds, but beats me where it is.  Help?
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org