Re: parameterized views? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Linn Kubler
Subject Re: parameterized views?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Joe Conway" <mail@joeconway.com> wrote in message
> Linn Kubler wrote:
> > Thanks for responding Joe but, not exactly.  I'm looking for something
> > more like this:
> >
> > create view myview as
> >  select f1, f2, f3 from mytable where f3 = $1;
> >
> > And then be able to call the view passing it a parameter somehow.
> > Possibly like:
> >
> > select * from myview where f3 = 15;
>
> I believe the optimizer will see this as exactly the same query as
>      create view myview as
>        select f1, f2, f3 from mytable;
>      select * from myview where f3 = 15;
> so I don't think you'd get any different execution time.
>
> Are you looking to avoid parsing overhead, similar to a prepared
> statement (also new in 7.3)? In any case what you're looking for does
> not exist currently, and I don't know of anyone working on it.
>
> > Something like that.  Returning sets from a function looks promising as
> > you described below but, 7.3 seems like it's a long way off if it's just
> > going to beta now.
>
> It depends how you define "a long way off". I'd *guess* 7.3 will be
> released within about 2 months of starting beta -- but no promises of
> course.
>
> Joe

It's not execution time that I'm trying to save here, that isn't an issue
for my database.  I'm looking to have a view defined where I can get a
subset of the records returned based on a parameter.  Sure would be a handy
feature for me.  The other option I suppose is to have multiple views
defiened for each senario and then have the front end pick the appropriate
view.  That just seems like a lot of work and won't be as flexible.

Thanks again,
Linn