Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/07/2017 11:57 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 7 April 2017 at 16:33, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> That list of supported authentication methods would need to be included in
>> the startup message. Unfortunately, there is no way to add options to the
>> startup message, without breaking compatibility with old servers. If there
>> is an option in the startup message that the server doesn't understand, it
>> will treat it as a GUC, and you get an "unrecognized configuration
>> parameter" after authentication.
>
> sasl.mechanisms = 'SCRAM_SHA256'
>
> :p
>
> No, I'm not seriously suggesting we abuse that.

Hmm, that's not such a bad idea, actually. It only goes back to 9.2,
though. Before that, the prefix needed to be listed in
custom_variable_classes, or you got an error. 9.2 is the oldest
supported version, but libpq should still be able to connect to older
versions.

- Heikki