Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/9/22 11:58 AM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 10:31:17AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
>>
>>> I would think that if \dconfig showed the non-default settings only,
>>> it would be much more useful; the full list would still be available
>>> with "\dconfig *". This is in line with \dt only showing tables on the
>>> search_path, and "\dt *.*" showing all.
>>
>> Hm, I could get on board with that -- any other opinions?
>
> +1 for it, that's often what I'm interested in when looking at the GUCs in
> general.

-1, at least for the moment. Sometimes a user doesn't know what they're
looking for coupled with being unaware of what the default value is. If
a setting is set to a default value and that value is the problematic
setting, a user should be able to see that even in a full list.

(The \dt searching only tables "search_path" vs. the database has also
bitten me too. I did ultimately learn about "\dt *.*", but this makes
the user have to unpack more layers to do simple things).

Jonathan

Attachment