Re: Statistics tables not being updated anymore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Statistics tables not being updated anymore
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron wrote:
> v9.6.9
>
> Statistics views like pg_stat_*_tables, pg_stat_*_indexes, pg_statio_*_tables and pg_statio_*_indexes
> aren't being updated anymore. Specifically, all counter fields are 0, and date fields are blank.
>
> The first thing I checked was postgresql.conf (but it hasn't been modified since December 2018),
> and track_activities is turned on. Also, I connect as user "postgres", so it's not a privileges problem.
>
> Where else should I look?
>
> track_activities                    | on
> track_activity_query_size           | 1024
> track_commit_timestamp              | off
> track_counts                        | on
> track_functions                     | none
> track_io_timing                     | off

I have seen something like that before, and described the incident in
https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/stale-statistics-cause-table-bloat/

What happened there was that during system startup, PostgreSQL was started
and created the statistics collector UDP socket on IPv6 localhost.

Later in the boot sequence, IPv6 was disabled, so no more statistics
could be collected.  Since it is an UDP socket, there were no errors.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe