Re: missing a white space in the last sentence of 51.6. Executor - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: missing a white space in the last sentence of 51.6. Executor
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 1/17/22 2:02 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
>> The last sentence of 51.6. Executor appears:
>> "...feeding that up toModifyTable to perform the insertion."
>
> Hm, the space is definitely there in the source file:
>
>      A simple <command>INSERT ... VALUES</command> command creates a
>      trivial plan tree consisting of a single <literal>Result</literal>
>      node, which computes just one result row, feeding that up
>      to <literal>ModifyTable</literal> to perform the insertion.
>
> I also see it rendered properly in HTML when looking at a local docs
> build.  I think this is some sort of spacing issue in the website
> style sheets.  Other <literal> segments on the same page are also
> rendered with less-than-usual spacing around them (to my eye
> anyway); though this is the only one that looks like it has no
> space at all.

I don't think it's the website stylesheets; those are identical between
both core "make" and the website itself.

It looks like the whitespace character was stripped out in the generated
HTML on the website. My thought is that tidylib's parser did that. We
set indent[1] to "auto", and in the tidylib docs it does indicate that
it could expose "layout issues" in some browsers. This makes me think
that this could be the culprit, though I haven't tested it yet.

Is there any reason why we use that setting at all, given the doc HTML
in the website is generated + stored in the DB, and we rarely, if ever
need to debug it?

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#indent