Re: What do people like to monitor (or in other words, what might be nice in pgsnmpd)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin M. Roy
Subject Re: What do people like to monitor (or in other words, what might be nice in pgsnmpd)?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hmm.. also data such as what is the background writer currently doing, where are we at in checkpoint segments, how close to checkpoint timeouts are we, etc.

On 8/2/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Josh Tolley escribió:
> On 8/2/07, Gavin M. Roy <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:
> > Are you contemplating providing access to data that's currently not stored
> > in the pg_ catalog tables?  I currently monitor the statio data,
> > transactions per second, and active/idle backends.  Things that I think
> > would be useful would be average query execution time, longest execution
> > time, etc.  Other pie in the sky ideas would include current level of total
> > bloat in a database, total size on disk of a database broken down by tables,
> > indexes, etc.
>
> My own goal is to have pgsnmpd able, as much as possible, to fill the
> same role the set of scripts an arbitrary PostgreSQL DBA sets up on a
> typical production server. That includes statistics tables and catalog
> tables, but certainly isn't limited to just that. So doing things like
> categorizing total sessions in interesting and useful ways (for
> instance, # of idle connections, # of active connections, max
> transaction length, etc.) are certainly within pgsnmpd's purview.

More ideas: autovacuum metrics, for example how long since the last
vacuum of tables, age(pg_class.relfrozenxid), how many dead tuples there
are, pg_class.relpages (do tables shrink, grow or stay constant-size?),
etc.

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"La felicidad no es mañana. La felicidad es ahora"