Re: pg_combinebackup --clone doesn't work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pg_combinebackup --clone doesn't work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/21/24 00:07, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Here's a fix adding the missing headers to pg_combinebackup, and fixing
> some compile-time issues in the ifdef-ed block.
>
> I've done some basic manual testing today - I plan to test this a bit
> more tomorrow, and I'll also look at integrating this into the existing
> tests.

Here's a bit more complete / cleaned patch, adding the testing changes
in separate parts.

0001 adds the missing headers / fixes the now-accessible code a bit

0002 adds the --copy option for consistency with pg_upgrade

0003 adds the PG_TEST_PG_COMBINEBACKUP_MODE, so that we can override the
copy method for tests

0004 tweaks two of the Cirrus CI tasks to use --clone/--copy-file-range

I believe 0001-0003 are likely non-controversial, although if someone
could take a look at the Perl in 0003 that'd be nice. Also, 0002 seems
nice not only because of consistency with pg_upgrade, but it also makes
0003 easier as we don't need to special-case the default mode etc.

I'm not sure about 0004 - I initially did this mostly to check we have
the right headers on other platforms, but not sure we want to actually
do this. Or maybe we want to test a different combination (e.g. also
test the --clone on Linux)?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra