Re: [GENERAL] Weirdness with "not in" query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Weirdness with "not in" query
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/08/2017 08:27 AM, greigwise wrote:
> So, I'm using postgres version 9.6.3 on a mac and the results to this series
> of queries seems very strange to me:
>
> db# select count(*) from table1 where id in
> (1706302,1772130,1745499,1704077);
>   count
> -------
>       4
> (1 row)
>
> db# select count(*) from table2 where table1_id in
> (1706302,1772130,1745499,1704077);
>   count
> -------
>       0
> (1 row)
>
> db# select count(*) from table1 where id not in (select table1_id from
> table2);
>   count
> -------
>       0
> (1 row)
>
> I would expect the "not in" query to return a result of at least 4.  Am I
> totally misunderstanding how this should work (I really don't think so) or
> is something wrong?

No:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/functions-comparisons.html#FUNCTIONS-COMPARISONS-IN-SCALAR

Note that if the left-hand expression yields null, or if there are no
equal right-hand values and at least one right-hand expression yields
null, the result of the IN construct will be null, not false. This is in
accordance with SQL's normal rules for Boolean combinations of null values.