Re: "set role" semantics - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: "set role" semantics
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/9/22 10:55 AM, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:rian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

>> Revoking PUBLIC has been explained before to you (Bryn Llewellyn).
>>
>> A quick search:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2176817.1644613186@sss.pgh.pa.us
>> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2176817.1644613186@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwayij%3DAQRQxJhFuJ3Qejq3E-PfiBjJ9CoHx_L_46BEgXQ@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwZVq-LerGMTN0E3_7MqhJwtuJuzf0GSnKG32mH_Qf24Zw@mail.gmail.com
>
> Here's an extract from the script that I copied in my first email:
>
> *create database d1;
> revoke all on database d1 from public;
>
> create database d2;
> revoke all on database d2 from public > *
>
> Didn't I do exactly what you both said that I failed to do?

You need to go here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-priv.html

To see what revoke all on database actually does:

CREATE

     For databases, allows new schemas and publications to be created
within the database, and allows trusted extensions to be installed
within the database. ...

CONNECT

     Allows the grantee to connect to the database. This privilege is
checked at connection startup (in addition to checking any restrictions
imposed by pg_hba.conf).

TEMPORARY

     Allows temporary tables to be created while using the database.

Also look at Table 5.2. Summary of Access Privileges

None of the above stops a role from looking up information in the
system catalogs which is what:

select current_database()||' > '||session_user||' > '||current_user;

is doing.

More comments below.

> **Summary**
>
> My experiments (especially below) show that "set role" has special
> semantics that differ from starting a session from cold:
>
> *"set role" allows a role that lacks "connect" on some database to end
> up so that the "current_database()" shows that forbidden database.*nn

 From below, you started the session with postgres(superuser) db user
and it can set role to whatever it wants. The system catalog information
is basically available to all and the functions(current_database,
session_user, current_user) also are. Revoking connect on a database is
that just denying the connection. Once a role has connected it can
change the current_user to any role it is allowed to that does not count
as a connection vs:

\c - joe
connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL:
permission denied for database "d1"
DETAIL:  User does not have CONNECT privilege.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com