Re: No docs for interaction of ON DELETE/UPDATE and permissions - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: No docs for interaction of ON DELETE/UPDATE and permissions
Date
List pgsql-docs

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createtable.html.

> There are references to permissions required to create references, but not to the permissions
> (not, apparently) required to indirectly write to a table via referential actions.
>
> Am I correct that (a) no permissions are needed here and (b) this is undocumented and (c) it would
> be helpful to document this, probably in the CREATE TABLE docs?  Happy to write a patch if so.

I would say that it is not documented outside the source, and I think it
wouldn't harm to document that.  I had to dig in the source myself the
first time I encountered that.

I am not sure if CREATE TABLE is the perfect place; another place that
would offer ifself is
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-constraints.html#DDL-CONSTRAINTS-FK ,
where foreign key constraints are explained.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe