Re: emergency outage requiring database restart - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: emergency outage requiring database restart
Date
Re: emergency outage requiring database restart  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/26/16 2:25 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I don't think that's the case.  sqsh is a psql-like utility.  it
> writes to stdout  and stderr only which is captured by plsh and sent.
> In this context shexec only wraps rm -f 'file' where 'file' is a file
> previously created with COPY in the same transaction.

How do you know that? It could potentially be doing anything it wanted
with file handles. Removing the exec might "solve" the problem here,
assuming that the forked process doesn't still inherit all open FH's.

In a nutshell, running arbitrary shell code (let alone arbitrary
executables) in a pl that's running inside the Postgres backend sounds
insanely risky to me.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461