RE: removing "serial" from table definitions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Mamin
Subject RE: removing "serial" from table definitions.
Date
List pgsql-general
>serial is not an actual data type -- it is essentially an integer with a default and an automatically created
sequence.See:

>>https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIA
>
>Yes, I undersand that serial is just a hint at table creation time, but is there a place in catalog where we can see
ifthe table was created using 'serial' ?

>if yes, I'm looking for a way to remove that.
>
>Another cause for my problem may be in the way how the default value information is stored in pg_attrdef.
>The difference we see between the source and target database is that a schema prefix is displayed with the sequence on
oneside, and not on the other..

>I'm not sure yet if this really come directly from the catalog or from the way how the client read the table
definition,maybe along with some search_path differences Were there any change in this area between PG 9.6 and PG 11 ?

>example:
>
>The Default value of column 'id' in table 'db_jobs_history' in database 'oms_db' is different on source and target
servers.

>It's 'nextval('admin.db_jobs_history_id_seq'::regclass)' on source  and 'nextval('db_jobs_history_id_seq'::regclass)'
ontarget.

I've probably found the origin of our problem:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/release-8-1.html
 => Add proper dependencies for arguments of sequence functions (Tom)

But I won't be able to check that in the next few days..

best regards,
marc Mamin