Re: killing perl2host - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: killing perl2host
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/16/22 21:17, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

>> On February 16, 2022 1:10:35 PM PST, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> So something like this in Utils.pm:
>>>

>>> die "Msys targeted perl is unsupported for running TAP tests" if
>>> $Config{osname}eq 'msys';
>> I don't think we should reject msys general - it's fine as long as the target is msys, no? Msys includes postgres
fwiw...

I don't think we have or have ever had a buildfarm animal targeting
msys. In general I think of msys as a build environment to create native
binaries. But if we want to support targeting msys we should have an
animal doing that.

> I think this means we should do the msys test in configure, inside
>
> if test "$enable_tap_tests" = yes; then
>
> and verify that $host_os != msys.

config/check_modules.pl is probably the right place for the test, as it
will be running with the perl we should be testing, and is only called
if we configure with TAP tests enabled.

perhaps something like:

    my $msystem = $ENV{MSYSTEM} || 'undef';

    die "incompatible perl" if $Config{osname} eq 'msys' && $msystem ne
'MSYS';

cheers

andrew

--