Is autovacuum on? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Blair Bethwaite
Subject Is autovacuum on?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've just upgraded to 8.3 and am looking at using autovacuum. We have
a long running application with high update frequency that
periodically issues vacuum commands itself. I'd like to be able to add
code to the app like:
if pg.autovacuum == "on":
    self.routine_vacuuming = False
else:
    self.routine_vacuuming = True
so that we can avoid manually issuing vacuum commands at sites where
Postgresql is running autovacuum.
But so far I haven't been able to find a way for a non-privileged user
to query the autovacuum status, is this possible?

Also, the routine-vacuuming section of the manual states that the
purpose of the autovacuum daemon is to periodically issue VACUUM and
ANALYZE commands - am I correct in thinking this implies that it will
not issue VACUUM FULL commands?

Cheers,
-Blair

--
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way
as to be understood by everyone, something that