Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/10/21 1:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> The main question I have is whether this should include procedures.
>
> I feel a bit uncomfortable about sticking this sort of limited-purpose
> selectivity mechanism into pg_dump.  I'd rather see a general filter
> method that can select object(s) of any type.  Pavel was doing some
> work towards that awhile ago, though I think he got frustrated about
> the lack of consensus on details.  Which is a problem, but I don't
> think the solution is to accrue more and more independently-designed-
> and-implemented features that each solve some subset of the big problem.

I'm not against introducing such general filter mechanism, but why
should it block this patch? I'd understand it the patch was adding a lot
of code, but that's not the case - it's tiny. And we already have
multiple filter options (to pick tables, schemas, extensions, ...).

And if there's no consensus on details of Pavel's patch after multiple
commitfests, how likely is it it'll start moving forward?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company