Re: Restore performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Re: Restore performance?
Date
Re: Restore performance?
List pgsql-performance

On 4/10/06, Jesper Krogh <jesper@krogh.cc> wrote:
Hi

I'm currently upgrading a Posgresql 7.3.2 database to a
8.1.<something-good>

I'd run pg_dump | gzip > sqldump.gz  on the old system. That took about
30 hours and gave me an 90GB zipped file. Running
cat sqldump.gz | gunzip | psql
into the 8.1 database seems to take about the same time. Are there
any tricks I can use to speed this dump+restore process up?

was the last restore successfull ?
if so why do you want to repeat ?

some tips

1. run new version of postgres in a different port and pipe pg_dump to psql
this may save the CPU time of compression , there is no need for a temporary
dump file.

pg_dump | /path/to/psql813  -p 54XX newdb

2. use new version of pg_dump to dump the old database as new version
    is supposed to be wiser.

3. make sure you are trapping the restore errors properly
psql newdb 2>&1 | cat | tee err works for me.

The database contains quite alot of BLOB, thus the size.

Jesper
--
./Jesper Krogh, jesper@krogh.cc, Jabber ID: jesper@jabbernet.dk

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend