Re: Show tables query - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Re: Show tables query
Date
Re: Show tables query
List pgsql-admin
On 4/2/06, Andy Shellam <andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk> wrote:
> > After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk
> ("Andy Shellam") belched out:
> >> Is there an SQL command supported by Postgres to return a list of tables
> in a database?
>
> Sorry, did I say something wrong? I thought it was a perfectly valid
> question actually.  The application in mind is going to be run exclusively
> on Postgres,
>
> so I'm not overly fussed over standards - I just wanted a quick
> win, of which Grega's SQL gave it me perfectly - tables only, nothing else
> included.

 the information_schema approach is still better than querying
 the system catalogs. The system catalogs are internal to postgresql
 what if future  versions of postgresql change the sys catalogs dramatically ?
(your app breaks!)

 information_schema is the standard which are more likely to behave
 the same in all versions of pgsql becoz they are(currently) views on
 the sys catalogs.

 Regds
 Rajesh Kumar Mallah.