Re: Strange results when casting string to double - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carsten Klein
Subject Re: Strange results when casting string to double
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 05:46 PM Adrian Klaver wrote
> On 2/16/22 05:27, Carsten Klein wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm using several (now unsupported) PostgreSQL 9.3.24 servers on
>> different (ancient) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machines. On only one of those
>> servers, I get strange/wrong results when converting a string into a
>> double value:
>>

>> Has anyone an idea of what's going on here? I know, this version is
>> far from still being supported, however, there's not much real changes
>> in file float.c between these versions (in other words, this may
>> happen with recent versions as well?). The database instances on all
>> servers are configured quite the same (more or less).

> What is the more or less for the problem server?

What? Didn't get that...

> Are the hardware(CPU) architectures the same for all the servers?

The problem server is a virtual machine (VMware). I've tested this on
two other servers and do receive probably correct results. One of these
is also a virtual machine (same VMware, running on different hardware),
the other one is a physical box with an AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 64-bit
processor.

Customer site:

Production System:  VMware (ESX Host A)   works as expected

Testing System:     VMware (ESX Host B)   DOES NOT WORK as expected

Our site:

Development System: AMD Athlon(tm) II     works as expected

However, since the strtod function works correctly from my tiny C
program on all these machines, I don't believe that this problem has to
do with hardware or architecture. I guess, PostgreSQL dynamically links
to these C library functions, right?

> If not how does the problem server differ?

I certainly have no idea. Actually, I don't see any more relevant
differences.

> Was Postgres installed from the same source/same way on all the server?

PostgreSQL was installed from Ubuntu's official repositories (14.04 LTS)
on all servers.

--
Carsten Klein
c(dot)klein(@)datagis(dot)com