Re: Error Message - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Error Message
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2020-05-04 at 10:28 -0500, Brian Hansen wrote:
> So I installed pgAdmin 4 and many times when I am going to certain
> sections, it errors out showing this error.
> https://snipboard.io/TyU8b3.jpg
>
> This error is always caused by the LENGTH(spc.spcname) portion of the
> query.....and it can be corrected by updating to
> LENGTH(spc.spcname::text), but I can't find that this can be
> customized on my side and it's built into pgadmin? Unless I am
> wrong...
>
> The full query that pgadmin is running that errors is here:
> https://pastebin.com/SrTWp8bm
>
> Version: 4.21
> OS: Windows 10
> Desktop mode
> Postgresql version: Docker postgres:12.2

If I look at the error message and have to guess, I'd say that you have
created a type or domain "length", which leads to confusion with the
"length(text)" function:

CREATE DOMAIN length AS text;

SELECT length('something') < 42;
ERROR:  operator does not exist: length < integer
LINE 1: SELECT length('something') < 42;
                                   ^
HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

Workaround: don't use "length" as the name of a custom object.

But a query run by pgAdmin should still not fail.

You should write to the pgadmin mailing list and tell them what object
"length" you created and how to reproduce the error.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe