Larger volumes of chronologically ordered data and the planner - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Moran
Subject Larger volumes of chronologically ordered data and the planner
Date
Re: Larger volumes of chronologically ordered data and the planner  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

What is PostgreSQL's likely behaviour when it encounters a large
volume of data that is chronologically ordered (there's a btree index
on a date column)? Is postgreSQL intelligent enough to discern that
since the most frequently accessed data is invariably recent data,
that it should store only that in memory, and efficiently store less
relevant, older data on disk (the volume of data in production at the
moment is still small enough to fit entirely in memory)? The
application I maintain is not really a data warehousing app, but this
is likely to be where I first encounter performance issues, if I ever
do.

Where can I learn more about this subject in general?

Regards,
John Moran