Compiling under Solaris 8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Taylor
Subject Compiling under Solaris 8
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I'm installing PostgreSQL 7.2.0 on a Sun Netra X1, Solaris 8.

The compile finishes normally, and postmaster and the like all run fine.

My problem is that I want to use the command history, which is enabled by
having the readline libraries installed.

If I download and install readline 4.2 from www.sunfreeware.com , then do a
./configure, i get...

<snip>
checking for readline... no
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
</snip>
and the resultant psql doesn't have command history.

If I download the source for readline 4.2 and compile and install (make
install) i get the following.

<snip>
checking for readline... yes (-lreadline -ltermcap)
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
checking for sigsetjmp... yes
checking for optreset... no
checking test program... failed
configure: error:
*** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
*** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
*** for the exact reason.
</snip>

config.log:
<snip>
configure:7382: checking for sigsetjmp
configure:7391: gcc -o conftest

conftest.c -lrt -lz -lresolv -lgen -lnsl -lsocket -ldl -lm -lreadline -lterm
cap  1>&5
configure:7478: checking for optreset
configure:7490: gcc -o conftest

conftest.c -lrt -lz -lresolv -lgen -lnsl -lsocket -ldl -lm -lreadline -lterm
cap  1>&5
optreset                            /var/tmp/cc9E91hP.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 7483 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <unistd.h>
int main() {
extern int optreset; optreset = 1;
; return 0; }
configure:7516: checking test program
configure:7525: gcc -o conftest

conftest.c -lrt -lz -lresolv -lgen -lnsl -lsocket -ldl -lm -lreadline -lterm
cap  1>&5
configure: failed program was:
#line 7521 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
int main() { return 0; }

</snip>

I'm fairly new to linux and solaris, but I'm guessing that ld isn't happy
with the compiled readline libs.

Is there something I'm not doing that I should be? please help...

Colin Taylor