Re: postgres_fdw insert extremely slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mats Julian Olsen
Subject Re: postgres_fdw insert extremely slow
Date
List pgsql-general
On 25.11.2020 17:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mats Julian Olsen <mats@duneanalytics.com> writes:
>>> Postgres version(s)?
>> x: Aurora PostgreSQL 11.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC)
>> 4.9.3, 64-bit (RDS)
>> y: PostgreSQL 12.2 (Ubuntu 12.2-2.pgdg19.10+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
>> compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 9.2.1-9ubuntu2) 9.2.1 20191008, 64-bit (GCP)
> Hmm, I wonder if Aurora could be doing something funny here?
>
> Anyway, to answer your question, no that's not the expected level of
> performance.  postgres_fdw is certainly not inexpensive compared to
> local table access, but I'd still think inserts should take only a
> small number of milliseconds.  It seems like something must be
> blocking the query.  Have you tried looking into pg_locks on the
> remote server while this query is running?
>
>             regards, tom lane
Thanks Tom, I'll try to spin up a regular Postgres instance on both rds
and ec2 and see if that helps. As for the locks, I can not see any
blocked activity on the remote server while the query runs.

--
Mats
CTO @ Dune Analytics