A Replication Idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Orion Henry
Subject A Replication Idea
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've been thinking about replication and wanted to throw out an idea to see
how fast it gets torn apart.  I'm sure the problem can't be this easy but I
can't think of why.

Ok... Let's say you have two fresh databases, both empty.  You set up a
postgres proxy for them.  The proxy works like this:
       It listens on port 5432.       It pools connections to both real databases.       It is very simple just
forwardingrequests and responses back and forth               between client and server.  A client can connect to the
proxy               and not be able to tell that it is not an actual postgres                database.       When
connectionsare made to it, it proxys connections to both back-end               databases.       If an
insert/update/delete/DDLcommand comes, it forwards it to both               machines.       If a query comes down the
lineit forwards it to one machine or the                other.       If one of the machines goes offline or is not
respondingthe proxy                queues up all update transactions intended for it and stops
forwardingqueries to it until it comes back online and all                queued transactions have been committed.
A new machine can be inserted to the cluster.  When the proxy is alerted               to this, it's first
communicationwould be to pgdumpall() one of               the functional databases and pipe it to the new one.  At that
              moment, it is considered an unreachable database and all update               transactions are queued for
whenthe dump/rebuild is complete.       If a machine dies in catastrophic failure it can be removed from the
  cluster, and once the machine is fixed, re-inserted as per                above.       If there were some SQL command
fordetermining the load a machine is                experiencing the proxy could intelligently balance the load
      to the machines in the cluster that can handle it.       If the proxy were to fail, clients could safely connect
toone of the                back end databases in read-only mode until the proxy came back                up.       The
proxywould store a log of incomplete transactions in some kind of                presistant storage for all the
databasesit's connected to, so                should it die, it can resume right where it left off assuming
  the log is intact.

With the proxy set up like this you could connect to it as though it were a
database, upload your current data and schema and get most all the benifits
of clustering.

With this setup could achieve load balancing, fail-over, master-master
replication, master-slave replication, hot swap servers, dynamic addition
and removal of servers and HA-like clustering.  The only thing it does not
do is partition data across servers.  The only assumption I am aware of
that I am making is that two identical databases, given the same set of
arbitrary transactions will end up being the same.  The only single point
of failure in this system would be the proxy itself.  A modification to the
postgres client software could allow automatically fail-over to read-only
connections with one of the back-end databases.  Also, the proxy could be
run on a router or other diskless system.  I haven't really thought about
it, but it may even be possible to use current HA technology and run a pool
of failover proxy's.

If the proxy ended up NOT slowing the performance of a standalone,
single-system server, it could become the default connection method to
PostgreSQL such that a person could do an out-of-the-box install of the
database and a year later realize they really wanted a cluster, they could
hot-add a server without even restarting the database.

So, long story short, I'd like to get people's comments on this.  If it
won't/can't work or has been tried before, I want to hear about it before I
start coding. ;)
       Orion