Re: language interface in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasbinder Singh Bali
Subject Re: language interface in postgresql
Date
Re: language interface in postgresql  ("Trevor Talbot" <quension@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
Let me fine tune my question here. What I mean to say is the way we can write stored procedures in C, perl etc in Postgres specifying the language parameter at the end of stored procedure, compared to that, in SQL Server 2000 I've seen SP writing in pure SQL only.
Can you write Stored Procedures in SQL Server 2000 or Oracle in different programing languages as well ?

Thanks
~Jas

On 8/15/07, Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/14/07, Jasbinder Singh Bali < jsbali@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if any other database has language interface for different
> programing languages such as C , perl , python etc the way postgresql has.

Assuming you mean stored procedures, Microsoft's SQL Server hosts the
CLR, which means pretty much any language capable of targeting .NET
will work.  The mechanisms behind this are quite involved, to
guarantee different levels of security and reliability; it's rather
interesting to dig into.

It is just one platform though, so might not be quite what you had in mind :)