Re: What is this thing that is called a "Data Dictionary?" - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jasbinder Singh Bali
Subject Re: What is this thing that is called a "Data Dictionary?"
Date
List pgsql-novice
AFAIK, data dictionary is just the metadata (read only set) that contains the definitions of data elements like tables, views, trigggers, SPs, roles, general DB structuring, space allocation methodology of the DB etc (i mean any data element inside the DB).

It can be viewed as a simple read only file defining the basic structure of the database actually, in lay men terms.

Also most of the times, i've observed that its hidden from the users even though its read only. Only DBA should have access to such kind of file in secured systems. Thats how we implement it in our projects out here.

Bookkeeping is just synonymous to a data dictionary that would not contain the actual data but would essentially explain the way data would be managed and how.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
~Jas