Re: [GENERAL] Shared Objects (Dynamic loading) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jasbinder Bali
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Is there any way to check what all shared objects are loaded in the memory?
Also, when i say LOAD 'parser' where parser.so is the shared object i've loaded dynamically
using CREATE FUNCTION, its says

ERROR:  could not access file "parser": No such file or directory

Why would it give me this error?

Thanks and regards,
~Jas

On 8/24/06, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org > wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:29:55AM -0400, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Also, when i dynamically load  a shared library and then later on change the
> code, create the same shared library (same name) and run my function where
> in the shared library is loaded, it takes the reference of the old shared
> library.
> why does this happen and how to get rid of this.

The "C-Language Functions" documentation explains:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/xfunc-c.html

"After it is used for the first time, a dynamically loaded object
file is retained in memory.  Future calls in the same session to
the function(s) in that file will only incur the small overhead of
a symbol table lookup.  If you need to force a reload of an object
file, for example after recompiling it, use the LOAD command or
begin a fresh session."

--
Michael Fuhr