Re: Shared Objects (Dynamic loading) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasbinder Bali
Subject Re: Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for that reply Martijn,

Just wondering what is this SPI all about and where can i read up on that. Any quick pointers please?

Thanks
~Jas

On 8/28/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 01:29:11AM -0400, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Just wondering why would i need libpq here.
> Doesn't DBD::pg has its own functions for database related activities.
> I think i'm quite naive in this.

DBD::Pg uses libpq to do the talking to the database. Think of it as
the driver that interfaces DBI (the perl database interface) with
libpq.

Incidently, there is a DBD::PgPP (Pg Pure Perl) which tries to do the
same without libpq, but I've never seen it in action.

> Also, the triggers that i wrote in C are not all that elaborative. They are
> pretty basic triggers. Also, I'm a rookie in perl but don't need to do
> something hifi with it.

What are you good at then. If you understand SQL, write them in
pl/pgsql. Use what you're confortable with.

And you don't need DBI or anything like that for writing triggers,
that's what SPI is for.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/