Re: Encoding problems with "COMMENT ON DATABASE .." causing pg_restore (and pg_upgrade) to fail - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jan Lentfer
Subject Re: Encoding problems with "COMMENT ON DATABASE .." causing pg_restore (and pg_upgrade) to fail
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am 2016-01-27 01:45, schrieb Tatsuo Ishii:
> I am not familiar with pgadmin3 but it seems a bug with pgadmin3 or
> misuse of it to me. Probably when this:
>=20
>> ---> use pgadmin3 on Windows to set comment on database coment_test=20
>> with
>> ---> string "f=C3=BCr", while being connected to postgres (SQL_ASCII=20
>> encoded)
>=20
> was executed, the client encoding is not properly set to UTF-8 for
> some reasons.

I think you are actually right. It seems this only happens if you=20
initially connect to a SQL_ASCII databse with pgadmin3 and then set a=20
comment containing special characters on a UTF-8 database. I could now=20
also reproduce this behaviour on a Linux host with Postgre 9.4.5.
And I can also confirm that this does not happen using psql.

I will forward this issue to the pgadmin mailing list.

Thanks and best regards

Jan