Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs  (Matthijs van der Vleuten <matthijs@zr40.nl>)
List pgsql-www
On 10/19/18 3:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-10-18 16:29:48 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> On 10/18/18 3:16 PM, Matthijs van der Vleuten wrote:
>>> Commit 6679835174a93d5688c649c4feb2604cd6afd2a0 added the site-wide
>>> navigation bar to the docs pages. This navigation bar is stuck to the
>>> top of the browser viewport.
>
> +1 for removing that, I want to read the docs, not loose a portion of my
> screen to the navbar. That doesn't matter as much in other parts of the
> website, where I'm not going to constantly look at lots of content.
>

>>> This patch removes the position: fixed style from the navigation bar and
>>> removes the .pg-shout-box padding that compensated for the height of the
>>> navigation bar.
>>>
>>> Additionally, since the navigation bar is now no longer permanently on
>>> screen, the main.js script (which only contains code for animating the
>>> navigation bar) is also removed from the docs pages.
>>>

>> Thanks for working on this. However, I would suggest we just add in the
>> shout box to the docs.
>
> Add it? It's present right now, no?

Ah it is, I've been going through so many pages these past few days I
forgot :)

> I don't like the shout box in the docs, FWIW. For me that's reference
> material, and I don't want to waste the space. Currently content starts
> like half a screen down when at the top. That's a *lot*.

Well, the things up top are the core doc navigation (versions, search,
TOCs on the page). Those are fairly important, particularly on large
pages. And also on large pages, it can be a pain to scroll all the way
back up if you need to get to another part of the site, or search.

I would say that doubly-so on mobile. Viewing the docs on mobile view, I
would strongly suggest keeping the floating navigation.

I do see it from your viewpoint and I could argue it that way as well,
but I'm not convinced yet, and am definitely not convinced on mobile.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment