Re: Renice on Postgresql process - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Renice on Postgresql process
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2018 04:36 PM, Ben Chobot wrote:

>> On May 7, 2018, at 11:50 PM, Ayappan P2 <ayappap2@in.ibm.com
>> <mailto:ayappap2@in.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We are doing "renice" on the main Postgresql process to give higher
>> scheduling priority because other critical operations depends on the
>> database.
>> You are saying that the database processes take longer to relinquish
>> their resources and we won't achieve anything out of renice, So i
>> assume renice of the database processes is not at all required ?
>> Thanks
>> Ayappan P
>
> Yes, if you make a db process nicer than the db takes longer to answer
> your queries. If the goal is to keep the load down on the db, that is
> usually going to be counterproductive.

Correct or in other words, the problem is bad provisioning. You need to
optimize your resources whether that be hardware/vm or code.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****