Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/3/20 2:57 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Is it practical to provide the SQL Server-like feature in Postgres?
>> No.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>>

> That got me chuckling.
> I had just decided not to bother posting, but well, here goes.
>
> I call bs on the “cross db query” notion of tsql - but I admit I haven’t used it since it was a Sybase thing.
>
> Is db.owner.table (iirc) is really anything more than nuance on schema.table.  Does a db for automotive parts need to
beup-close-and-personal with a db payroll?

Those aren't the only two databases that exist.  Think of a federated system
where you've got a "reference" database full of lookup tables, and one
database for every 10,000 customers. For 45,000 customers you've got five
databases, and they all need to access the reference database, plus "all
customers" queries need to access all five databases.