Re: Index Management - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Brett
Subject Re: Index Management
Date
List pgsql-sql
AFAIK the indeces are chosen by the query optimiser and used whenever they
are needed.

sometimes if the optimiser decides it may not use an index if there are a
small number of rows in the table and sequential scan would be as fast.

a general rule of thumb i use is that indexes are placed on tables if i have
a query that uses that attribute in the where clause.

Steve