Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Subject Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2021-05-31 21:16, Justin Pryzby wrote:
Here's the FROM clause that bit me:
   FROM lic_en     JOIN govt_region   USING (territory_id, country_id)     LEFT JOIN zip_code USING (territory_id, country_id, zip5)     LEFT JOIN "County" USING (territory_id, country_id, fips_county);
I'm guessing that there's a dependency/correlation between territory/country/county, and that's probably related to a misestimate causing a bad plan.

The first two JOINs are not the problem, & are in fact retained in my solution.  The problem is the third JOIN, where "fips_county" from "County" is actually matched with the corresponding field from the "zip_code" VIEW.  Works fine, if you don't mind the performance impact in v10 & above.  It has now been rewritten, to be a sub-query for an output field.  Voila ! Back to sub-second query times.
What version of 9.6.X were you upgrading *from* ?

v9.6 added selectivity estimates based on FKs, so it's not surprising if there was a plan change migrating *to* v9.6.

I originally upgraded from 9.6.20 to v12.6.  When that (otherwise successful) upgrade had performance problems, I upgraded the v9.6.20 copy to v9.6.21, & tried again, with the same result.

Interestingly, on v13.2 I have now run into another (similar) performance issue.  I've solved it by setting the following to values I used with v9.x:

join_collapse_limit & from_collapse_limit = 16

geqo_threshold = 32

I pretty sure I tried those settings (on v10 & above) with the earlier performance problem, to no avail.  However, I now wonder what would have been the result if I have doubled those values before re-architecting some of my tables (moving from certain JOINs to specific sub-selects).