Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikhil Sontakke
Subject Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
> OK, so, when I initially started catching up on this thread, I was
> kind of feeling annoyed at Tom, and I still wish he'd say something
> along the lines of "I did not mean to give offense and I'm sorry if my
> words came across in a way that I did not intend" rather than just
> explaining why he reacted the way he did.

I think it's just Tom's way.

Sure is :). And those who have been on this list long enough do know and appreciate the value of his technical comments. And you just got to see the code that he checks-in - it always is in the best possible shape!

Regards,
Nikhils

Higgins (from Pygmalion):
The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another.

For comparison, here is a recent message from Tom addressed to me, along with my response:

No.
The service works correctly when I use password authentication.
The service does not work correctly when I use trust.

What happens when you use trust in pg_hba.conf?

Now, I do not think that Tom is a bad person at all.  Quite the contrary, he's clearly very smart and also goes to great lengths in attempts to be helpful (sometimes chewing someone out is being helpful as well).  He sometimes comes off as brusque -- but to some degree that comes from reading between the lines and being over sensitive.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that when making any sort of message sent to the internet, the most sensible policy is to grow a skin at least five inches thick.

I am certainly glad that Tom is on the PostgreSQL team.  I expect that the product will come out ahead from it in the long run.  And as for being offended, I am reminded of a Bible proverb:
(Ecclesiastes 7:9) Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones.