Re: cross-compiling plpython - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikhil Sontakke
Subject Re: cross-compiling plpython
Date
List pgsql-hackers
So, I realized that there does not seem to be an easy way for cross compiling plpython. The configure checks for the locally installed python include locations and eventually the plpython makefile ends up picking all the local includes too.
Does anyone have any experiences on cross-compiling plpython before? Obviously I can hack the Makefile to point to the host environment headers, but is there a neater way? Also I suspect the plpython.so so generated might not load on the host later too because its looking for the libpython.so somewhere else too.

Did you check debian source packages? At least I believe they do not
compile everything on the respective system so there must be some hooks
for crosscompiling.

The main issue that I discovered was regarding setting python_includespec and python_libspec to point them to the relevant headers and library locations respectively. Also obviously we cannot invoke the build machine's python to get the other information. We can go down the route of introducing some PYTHON_* variables and use them to set the above location variables to help out for cross-compilation.

Regards,
Nikhils

Regards
Tino