Re: connecting to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael MacLennan
Subject Re: connecting to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
I restarted postgresql but that wasn't the problem I didn't have the proper settings in pg.hba.conf. I added the setting

#   host    all         all         192.168.1.100/32      md5

and that worked. I am running the most recent version of postres and postgis. I can now connect on the network but I can not open the a DB table in ArcCatalog 9.0, every time I try Arcatalogue crashed. Originally this data could be opened with uDig 1.0.5 on the local computer running server 2003 but now uDig can't connect. The only thing that I changed was the pg_hba.conf file and the postgresql.conf local address to '*' do you know what I might be missing here?

I realized that I have a lot of issues with the postgres system but I am relatively new to this. I currently have two projects on the go that will be using postgres one on Linux Ubuntu and one on Server 2003.

I am beginning to think that postgres doesn't work well with ArcGIS, even when I do connect I see all the tables and not the shape files. Is there a way to change this? My users will potentially not have much experience with connecting to a database so I am wondering how usable this option is. Is it better to use something commercial or is postgres compatable with arcGIS?

I know these are a lot of questions and any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.