Re: how to remove the duplicate records from a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: how to remove the duplicate records from a table
Date
List pgsql-general
2008/10/7 Yi Zhao <yi.zhao@alibaba-inc.com>:
> I have a table contains some duplicate records, and this table create
> without oids, for example:
>  id | temp_id
> ----+---------
>  10 |       1
>  10 |       1
>  10 |       1
>  20 |       4
>  20 |       4
>  30 |       5
>  30 |       5
> I want get the duplicated records removed and only one is reserved, so
> the results is:
> 10 1
> 20 4
> 30 5
>
> I know create a temp table will resolve this problem, but I don't want
> this way:)
>
> can someone tell me a simple methold?
>
> any help is appreciated,
>
> thanks,

I would not say this is easier....

1. alter table t add key serial;
2. delete from table where key not in (select max(key) from table
group on id,temp_id);

The truth is this is not any less work then using a temporary table
(whole table still needs rewriting). Which method you select really
depends on why these duplicate records exist in the first place.

Regards

Peter