Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 11/12/2007, Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:58 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2007-12-11 kell 13:44, kirjutas Csaba Nagy:
> >> Then put the active chunk on a high performance file system and the
> > archive tablespace on a compressed/slow/cheap file system and you're
> > done. Allow even the archive chunk to be updateable, and put new tuple
> > data in the active chunk. It would work just fine for cases where the
> > old data is rarely updated/deleted...
>
> You can't update a table on a read-only (write-once) partition, at least
> not with current header structure.

OK, but that's what I'm challenging, why do you need a write once
partition ? You mean by that tapes ? OK, it means I was thinking in
completely different usage scenarios then...

Cheers,
Csaba.

I think DVD or CD would make sence, Tapes have an added limitation of being sequential access only.

Peter Childs