Re: 8.3b1 in production? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: 8.3b1 in production?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 24/10/2007, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
"rihad" <rihad@mail.ru> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have an idea how risky it is to start using 8.3b1 in production,
> with the intention of upgrading to release (or newer beta) as soon as it
> becomes available? Risky compared to running a release, that is. Beta ->
> release upgrades might be less tricky than 8.2 -> 8.3.

Well nobody's going to be able to guess at what problems haven't been found
yet. All we can say decisively is what bugs have already been found:

. On Windows UTF8 encoding isn't allowed

. VACUUM does an unnecessarily large amount of I/O

. Toaster could cause failures on machines with strict alignment

. Resources limits in Windows limit the number of clients

. pg_tablespace_size() on pg_global fails even for superuser

. ABI break with old libpq for applications which depend on encoding IDs
  (such as initdb -- you can't run initdb with an 8.2 libpq against an 8.3 server)

. invalid tsvector input could cause crashes

. ALTER COLUMN TYPE would reset the index's options, possibly moving it to the
  default tablespace or worse

Also:

. A new data type, txid, was added

. Several new contrib modules were added to aid tsearch migration

. Some tsearch functions were removed or modified

. tsearch word categories were redefined and renamed

. Make plan invalidation work for dropped sequences (etc)

. Be careful to get share lock on each page before computing its free space.

. This avoids useless checkpoint activity if XLogWrite is executed when we
  have a very stale local copy of RedoRecPtr.

. Teach planagg.c that partial indexes specifying WHERE foo IS NOT NULL can be
  used to perform MIN(foo) or MAX(foo)

. Remove an Assert that's been obsoleted by recent changes in the parsetree
  representation of DECLARE CURSOR. Report and fix by Heikki.

. Ensure that the result of evaluating a function during constant-expression
  simplification gets detoasted before it is incorporated into a Const node.

. Make dumpcolors() have tolerable performance when using 32-bit chr, as we do

. Make "role is not permitted to log in" errors not be hidden

. Remove quotes around locale names in some places for consistency.

. Add missing entry for PG_WIN1250 encoding, per gripe from Pavel Stehule.
  Also enable translation of PG_WIN874

Hmm looks like December release might be a dream then....

I was wondering why my PITR base back up was taking 2 hours on my 8.3 test database where as it takes 50 minutes on 8.1 and the database files are meant to be smaller on a freshly installed 8.3 server rather than a 8.1.1 server that aint been rebuilt since 8.1.1 was newly out.
I was planning to upgrade to 8.3 once its out...

Down time for upgrades is somwhat lacking in a 24x7 business.

Oh my 8.1 server has been up for well over a year with out being down at all. the database for longer which really show how good postgres really is 377 days uptime on computer and I think that was to move a plug.

Peter Childs