Re: Autovacuum Improvements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19/12/06, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> matthew@zeut.net ("Matthew O'Connor") writes:
> > 2) Once we can have multiple autovacuum workers: Create the concept of
> > hot tables that require more attention and should never be ignored for
> > more that X minutes, perhaps have one "autovacuum worker" per hot
> > table? (What do people think of this?)
>
> One worker per "hot table" seems like overkill to me; you could chew
> up a lot of connections that way, which could be a DOS.

Sounds like a max workers config varible would work quite well here.
Bit like the max connections varible. If we run out of workers we just
have to wait for one to finish. I think we need one daemon to analyse
what needs vacuuming and then lauch workers to do the actual work..

Peter Childs