Re: Postgres installation issue - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Postgres installation issue
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On 12/01/2017 02:22 PM, Mirav T. Mehta wrote:
> Hi
> Trying to install postgres 9.4, following are the steps i followed
>
> 1. wget --quiet -O - https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc
> <https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc> | sudo apt-key add -
> 2. sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/
> <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/> trusty-pgdg main'
> 3. sudo apt-get update
> 4. sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.4
>

> At the end of installation when I check pg_config file, I am observing
> version as 10.1.
> ____________
> Collecting psycopg2==2.6.1 (from -r
> /opt/aruba/gmaster/lib/zeus/requirements.txt (line 12))
>   Using cached psycopg2-2.6.1.tar.gz
>     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>     running egg_info
>     creating pip-egg-info/psycopg2.egg-info
>     writing pip-egg-info/psycopg2.egg-info/PKG-INFO
>     writing top-level names to pip-egg-info/psycopg2.egg-info/top_level.txt
>     writing dependency_links to
> pip-egg-info/psycopg2.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
>     writing manifest file 'pip-egg-info/psycopg2.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
>     Error: could not determine PostgreSQL version from '10.1'
>
>     ----------------------------------------
> Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
> /tmp/pip-build-_zIza9/psycopg2/
> _______________
>

> Because of this My psycopg2 2.6.1 is failing. as Postgres version
> indicated is 10.1.
>
> I am working on a legacy code build on top of postgresql-9.4 and
> psycopg2 version 2.6.1
>
> Please let me know in case steps followed needs to be corrected.

Install a new psycopg2 version, supporting PostgreSQL 10. The version
number format changes in PostgreSQL 10, and psycopg2 2.6.1 is unable to
parse it.

FWIW this is not a PostgreSQL issue, it's more about psycopg2. So
perhaps ask in psycopg2 mailing list instead:
https://www.postgresql.org/list/psycopg/

regards