Re: setting up pg_ident for peer auth with unix groups - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Holger Jakobs
Subject Re: setting up pg_ident for peer auth with unix groups
Date
List pgsql-admin

Hi Geoff,

No, there is no such mechanism. The ident service (it's not safe as you probably know) only delivers the name of the user who has initiated the TCP connection to the PG server.

This will be matched to the PG user the connection is supposed to be established as. If they match, the respective line of pg_hba.conf might grant access.

pg_ident.conf can be used to match system usernames (of the client machine) to PG usernames.

The /etc/group file which technically could be accessed by PG processes resides on the server and thus could be very different from the one on the client machine. Plus, the system username used on the client machine may not even exist on the server, nor does the PG username have to exist as a system username on client or server.

Therefore, using Unix groups wouldn't make much sense.

Regards,

Holger