Re: External psql editor - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: External psql editor
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/29/22 12:50 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On 4/29/22 13:35, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> Not that I know of. \e starts the external editor and you have to save
>> and exit that editor to get back to psql in order to execute it. IMHO
>> the whole construct has very limited usability.
>>

>> Regards, Jan
>
> Is there a way to define the name of the temporary file created by \e
> command? I'd like to name it "afiedt.buf", not for sentimental reasons.
> I already have a cron job that cleans afiedt.buf from my home directory
> every hour and having psql name temporary file like that would simplify
> the cleaning process. The name comes from another database with the same
> editor construct as \e. I am actually quite used to that.

If want to do something like that you would need to do(using VIM here):

\e
select 1;
:w afiedt.buf

or
:wq afiedt.buf

Assuming you closed the editor you could pick up the file later by doing.

\e afiedt.buf

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com