LIMIT and SUBQUERIES - Mailing list pgsql-general

From cprice@hrdenterprises.com (Chris)
Subject LIMIT and SUBQUERIES
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

This question may be a bit confusing, and it is entirely possible that
I am going about it the wrong way, but any suggestions would be much
appreciated.  I'm trying to query a table of records that has a
(simplified) structure like the following:

owner int
description text
amount double

I want to do a select that returns the TOP 5 records ordered by
amount, PER OWNER.  I can easily construct this SQL query, the problem
arises in the fact that I want to have groups of the top five per
owner (an owner can obviously have more than 5 records, but I just
want the top 5 for each).

So anyway, I have the query that is working - but it returns all
records for all owners, when what I really want to do is return the
top 5 per each owner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Chris