Re: TRUNCATE on foreign table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: TRUNCATE on foreign table
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2021/04/14 12:54, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> IMHO, we can push all the TRUNCATE options (ONLY, RESTRICTED, CASCADE,
> RESTART/CONTINUE IDENTITY), because it doesn't have any major
> challenge(implementation wise) unlike pushing some clauses in
> SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE and we already do this on the master. It doesn't
> look good and may confuse users, if we push some options and restrict
> others. We should have an explicit note in the documentation saying we
> push all these options to the remote server. We can leave it to the
> user to write TRUNCATE for foreign tables with the appropriate
> options. If somebody complains about a problem that they will face
> with this behavior, we can revisit.

That's one of the options. But I'm afraid it's hard to drop (revisit)
the feature once it has been released. So if there is no explicit
use case for that, basically I'd like to drop that before release
like we agree to drop unused TRUNCATE_REL_CONTEXT_CASCADING.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center