How can I pass an array from PostgreSQL to C (libpq)? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From gar8@pitt.edu (Tony Reina)
Subject How can I pass an array from PostgreSQL to C (libpq)?
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm using the C library (lipq) to grab data from a field that contains
a float array (float4[]). I'd like to fill an array in my C program
with these values. Unfortunately, Postgres returns the array as a
large string instead of individual values.

Now I could perform "select array_var[1], array_var[2], array_var[3],
..., array_var[4]" and have each array value come back as a different
field, but this seems fairly messy. I suppose I could also go through
and parse the characters in the string returned.

Has anyone else used any other strategies to fill their C array with
an array returned from the libpq? Perhaps there are some SQL functions
for arrays that might exist?

Thanks.
-Tony