Re: psql \copy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: psql \copy
Date
List pgsql-general

On 4/24/20 10:12 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
On 04/24/2020 11:59 AM, Steve Crawford wrote:
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM Steve Clark <steve.clark@netwolves.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am using psql to copy data extracted from an InfluxDB in csv format into postgresql.
I have a key field on the time field which I have defined as a bigint since the time I get
from InfluxDB is an epoch time.

My question is does psql abort the copy if it hits a duplicate key, or does it keep processing?

The copy will fail. You could import into a temporary table and preprocess then copy to your permanent table or use an ETL solution to remove unwanted data before importing. I don't know the nature of your data or project but perhaps that column isn't suitable for a key.

Cheers,
Steve
I am attempting to periodically pull time series data from an InfluxDB.
The column at issue is the timestamp. I have a script that pulls the last 15 minutes of data from the InfluxDB
as csv data and pipe it into a psql -c "\copy...." command. I was looking for the simplest way to do this.

Is the duplication due to overlapping 15min chunks (i.e. imprecise definition of  "15 minutes ago")?  Perhaps retaining last timestamp sent to pg and use in the get-from-influx call?

--
Stephen Clark
NetWolves Managed Services, LLC.

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential and/or protected health information (PHI) and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended (HIPAA). This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachments from any computer. Vaso Corporation and its subsidiary companies are not responsible for data leaks that result from email messages received that contain privileged and confidential and/or protected health information (PHI).