Re: Detailed release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Detailed release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 06:41:30PM -0300, Marcos Pegoraro wrote:
> Em sex., 13 de set. de 2024 às 13:39, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
> escreveu:
>
>     I changed the patch to use the section symbol "§" instead of showing
>     the hashes.  The hashes seemed too detailed.  Does anyone see a better
>     symbol to use from here?
>

> Robert and others liked commit hashes because you can do "git show $COMMITID"

We have to consider the small percentage of people who will want to do
that vs the number of people reading the release notes.  I think it is
reasonable to require someone to click on the link to see the hash.

> On my first email I used numbered links, because when you have several links
> you know which one was clicked lastly

True, and the section symbol makes it even less clear.

> And brackets were useful to separate description, authors and commit links of
> that item.

Right, but without hashes, the section mark is clear.

> Anyway, one way or another, I'm ok because it's committed.

We can easily change it if we decide we want something else.

  When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
  "Am I going to die soon?"