Re: Detailed release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Detailed release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep  7, 2024 at 10:12:00AM +0800, jian he wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2024 at 6:30 AM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Aug 2024 at 21:34, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
> > > I understand your point, and agree with that for previous releases, but since we have a month only for version
17,will this process work properly until that date ?

> > > I think a release notes is more read as soon as it is available than other months, isn't it ?
> > > And this feature is just a HTML page, so if it's done manually or automatically, from the reader point of view
it'llbe exactly the same.

> > Big +1 to this. It would definitely be great if we would have these
> > commit links for previous release notes. But the PG17 GA release is
> > probably happening in 19 days on September 26th. I feel like we should
> > focus on getting the manual improvements from Jian He merged,
> > otherwise we'll end up with release notes for PG17 on release day that
> > are significantly less useful than they could have been. Let's not
> > make perfect the enemy of good here.
> >

> hi. Thanks for your interest.
> patch updated.

I applied this patch to PG 17.  You can see the results at:

    https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html

The community doc build only shows the master branch, which is PG 18,
and the PG 17 docs are only built before the release.

I changed the patch to use the section symbol "§" instead of showing
the hashes.  The hashes seemed too detailed.  Does anyone see a better
symbol to use from here?

    http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities_page.html

I think we are limited to the HTML entities listed on that page. I also
removed the brackets and the period you added at the end of the text.

> there are at least several typos in sgml comment.
> like
>
> <!--
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> 2023-11-17 [f7816aec2] Extract column statistics from CTE references, if possib
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> 2024-03-26 [a65724dfa] Propagate pathkeys from CTEs up to the outer query.
> -->
>
> here should be "possible".

Yes, the git output is cut off at a certain length --- I don't think we
should change it.

  When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
  "Am I going to die soon?"